May 24, 2009

Kobe Bryant, Big Time Player


Image by WDPG share

Kobe Bryant is not even on my top 20 list of all time greats in the NBA. To many of us, it's either love or hate for Kobe. To some, he is what Michael Jordan was to the Chicago Bulls' fans. To the rest, Kobe is simply a villain.

I am probably classified more towards the 'hate' column. Kobe's style is not my cup of tea. In fact, I love Shaquille O'Neal who made my basketball world go 'round in the post Jordan era. I'm at his side whenever there is a Kobe-Shaq feud. I've always been awed by Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, naming two of my favorite players of all time. And now, after years of boredom waiting for the next idol, I bow to the King: LeBron James.

Now that I've established my position, I would like to write about the biggest thing I have for Kobe Bryant. RESPECT.

No matter what people think, including myself, there is no way truth can be twisted and turned. And the truth is, even with James around, I think Kobe is the force to reckon with at the moment. James holds the future due to his limitless potential, and it is up to LeBron to live up to the expectations. (James' current MVP award is well deserved and is having a brilliant series versus the Magic. The downside: the Magic is up 3-1 and almost swept the series despite LeBron's heroic performances.)

Right now, Kobe is the man. I am tempted to say Lebron is the best, but I have that reserved on the day he wears that first ever NBA championship ring.

Kobe Bryant is good for the sport. I admire his thirst for triumph, being all out day in and day out. And even if I were a Kobe-hater, I am sure he will come down as one of the greatest players to ever play in the NBA.

Kobe, I hope you get to read this. Be it a Kobe fanatic or otherwise, respect is a constant to a great player. You deserve it.

Related articles:
So what if Lebron gets dunked on by a college player?
One man show, hurting Cleveland's chances
Shaq, say hello to Cleveland

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails